Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Reading

One of my goals is to read more. I used to read a lot, but then came along the computer and Internet. I believe that my excessive use of those has changed some of my brain connections, causing me to have difficult with staying present and enjoying a nice book. My attention span has shortened and it takes a lot more for me to get into a book. That concerns me.

So, here's an archive of what I've read, and some of the recommendations I've received. Feel free to post comments with your recommendations!

Have Read Since Starting this Blog (I highly recommend those marked with *):
The Confession - John Grisham
Broken Open - Elizabeth Lesser
Buddha - Deepak Chopra
The Book of Awakening - Mark Nepo
Full Catastrophe Living - Jon Kabat Zinn
How to Know God - Deepak Chopra
Tapping the Power Within - Iyanla Vanzant
* Wherever you go, There you are - Jon Kabat-Zinn
* Carry On, Warrior - Glennon Doyle Melton
* Wild - Cheryl Strayed
Make Miracles in 40 Days - Melody Beattie
* The Event - Jamie Heppner
* Unwholly - Neal Shusterman
* Unstrung - Neal Shusterman
* Unwind - Neal Shusterman
* Daring Greatly - Brene Brown
* Divergent - Veronica Roth
* Insurgent - Veronica Roth

Recommendations
Jackie
Robin Sharma, the Monk Who Sold his Ferrari series, fables with life lessons in them.
Gretchen Rubin, Happiness Project and Happier at Home.
Embarrassment of Mangoes, sailing to the Caribbean.
Diana Gabaldon is a series based in Scotland, time travel. Anyone whose read them loves them

Marion
Detective series: Ian Rankin (a little violent);
The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency (African culture)- Alexaner McCall Smith;
Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, etc.);
Stieg Larsson (The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, etc.)
anything by Michael Ondaatje, (Divisidero); or Lawrence Hill (ie. The Book of Negroes, Some Great Thing)

Sandy
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Lanvik

Mark
For Short Stories- Jim Shepard. (Like You'd Undertand Anyway).
For Sci-fi, space opera- Randolph Lalonde (Spinward Fringe: Origins), for
Fantasy - Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind), or George R.R. Martin (A Game of Thrones).
For straight Fiction- Paul Murray (Skippy Dies), also Cormac McCarthy (No Country For Old Men), Margaret Atwood (Oryx and Crake)

Holly
 Looking for Alaska by John Green
Gone Girl
Joyce Carol Oates
John Irving


1 comment: